AccaMate logo

Football News

Latest Sports Stories

Filtered by tag:Bayer LeverkusenClear filter
Newcastle’s Matthias Jaissle looks on bright side despite lacklustre Leverkusen defeat

Football News

Newcastle’s Matthias Jaissle looks on bright side despite lacklustre Leverkusen defeat

In spite of a 2-1 loss to Bayer Leverkusen, the new head coach at St James’ Park showed signs he is on the right path, and is closing in on Benfica’s Amar DedicReasons to be fearful or cause to be cheerful? Newcastle fans among a crowd in excess of 39,000 at St James’ Park on Saturday had much to debate as they headed home from a slightly underwhelming 2-1 friendly defeat by Bayer Leverkusen.The bad news is that a suddenly youthful team still coming to terms with life without this summer’s departed stars, Anthony Gordon, Sandro Tonali and Bruno Guimarães, look more than a little undercooked before Liverpool’s visit on Premier League duty next Sunday.Late last year these teams drew a Champions League group stage game in Leverkusen but since then the Germans have reconstructed a then transitional squad and Newcastle dismantled theirs.Eddie Howe’s sudden departure at the very end of July has left Matthias Jaissle, late of Jeddah’s Al-Ahli, to pick up the managerial pieces. Despite this defeat on a day when Leverkusen looked to be playing within themselves, the 38-year-old German is already showing a few, albeit tentative, indications that he just might be able to put one of football’s most complicated jigsaws back together.If Malick Thiaw, Anthony Elanga and Yoane Wissa in particular appear re-energised by his coaching, Jaissle’s faith in the 17-year-old Mason Miley, the younger brother of the midfielder Lewis, was fully vindicated as the academy product shone at right-back.“Mason’s a young lad with the attitude we need; he has the right heart and the right quality,” said Jaissle as he sipped an energy drink intended to replace the body’s lost electrolytes. If only he could find such a simple solution to filling the missing links left by Gordon, Tonali and Guimarães.At least Dan Burn is still around and will be Newcastle’s captain, with Joelinton as his deputy. The Brazilian, though, is injured and will miss the Liverpool game, while Burn was not involved here as Jaissle split his squad in two during a weekend that features another friendly here, against Strasbourg on Sunday.Leverkusen represented the new manager’s first match in charge at St James’ Park but it was hardly the ideal start. Inside a minute his team were behind.When Ibrahim Maza manoeuvred the ball on to his left foot in the area, Newcastle’s new goalkeeper, Lukas Hornicek, was powerless to resist the resultant shot. No matter that it was only a friendly, even Howe’s normally super-confident successor looked a little crestfallen.“It’s a big challenge,” he said. “It’s a big transition.”Jaissle cut a restless figure as he prowled the home technical area, sometimes straying far too far outside its confines for the liking of match officials.The good news for a coach who promises to prove more entertaining than his team – at least in their current incarnation – was that a reasonably strong starting XI improved incrementally during the first half and equalised shortly before half-time. Jaissle duly greeted Thiaw’s scoring header from Elanga’s corner with a prolonged bout of clapping.By then he could also reflect favourably on a positive contribution from the Miley brothers. While Lewis looked his customarily assured self in central midfield on his first appearance since breaking a leg last spring, Mason’s efforts at right-back frequently frustrated Leverkusen’s Miguel Gutiérrez.It seemed thoroughly fitting that the latter was showered with praise from his manager when, late in the second half, he hobbled off with cramp. With England’s Tino Livramento sidelined by calf trouble, Miley Jr is in real contention to start against Liverpool.Yet in eight days’ time another right-back, Benfica’s Amar Dedic, could well have been added to Newcastle’s roster. The 23-year-old, who can also operate at left-back, previously played for Jaissle at RB Salzburg and, on Saturday night, appeared close to finalising a move to Tyneside.Once that deal is done attention will doubtless turn to filling the midfield chasm left by Tonali and Guimarães.Although the 18-year-old Sean Steur – one of four players aged 20 or under signed by Newcastle since June – showed off some nice touches, the former Ajax prodigy betrayed his inexperience at times.Players with more mature presence are clearly required but Marseille’s Pierre-Emile Højbjerg has declined a £13m move to north-east England and João Palhinha is still to be persuaded to leave Bayern Munich in order to plug the leadership vacuum.On this evidence Leverkusen’s new manager, Carles Martínez, recently imported from Toulouse, might be reluctant to do a job swap with his Newcastle counterpart. Martínez’s side improved after the second-half introduction of the dangerous forward Patrick Schick and few Newcastle fans would argue the visitors did not deserve to win courtesy of Victor Boniface’s late rolled finish, with that opening created when the Nigerian expertly turned Steur.How Jaissle, who looks to still be fathoming out how to unlock Nick Woltemade’s real yet still latent talent, could do with similar attacking incision.Asked if Liverpool were arriving in Toon too soon, he initially replied: “We’ll do our best,” before turning upbeat. “We’ll keep using positivity,” he said. “I like these challenges. We are not concerned. I can’t wait.”

Louise Taylor at St James' ParkSat, 15 Aug 2026
Source: The Guardian
Read story
Arsenal open talks with Bayer Leverkusen over deal for Jarell Quansah

Football News

Arsenal open talks with Bayer Leverkusen over deal for Jarell Quansah

Gunners remain interested in Aston Villa’s Ezri KonsaArsenal have opened talks with Bayer Leverkusen over a move for Jarell Quansah as they intensify efforts to bring in cover for William Saliba and Jurriën Timber.The England defender, who left Liverpool last summer for an initial £30m and was part of Thomas Tuchel’s World Cup squad, has been identified as an ideal replacement for the France and Netherlands defenders, who will miss the start of the new season due to injury. While Quansah’s preferred position is in central defence, he was also deployed at right-back by Tuchel at the World Cup and was sent off in the last-16 victory over Mexico.It is understood that Leverkusen are reluctant to sell the 23-year-old, who signed a five-year deal when he left Anfield last July, and would want at least €50m (£43m). Arsenal – who saw a bid of £30m for Aston Villa’s Ezri Konsa rejected earlier in the window – are not thought to want to pay that much but now could test the German club’s resolve by submitting a similar offer. Liverpool had a €70m buyback option on Quansah but that has now expired.Arsenal are still believed to be interested in Konsa, who also filled in at right-back for England during the World Cup but is better known as a central defender. Villa value the 28-year-old at £60m.Mikel Arteta said this week that Saliba’s back injury would take “some time to heal” and he was unsure about when he would be available again. Arsenal also have concerns over Timber, who pulled out of the Netherlands squad on the eve of the World Cup after failing to recover from a persistent groin injury that forced him to miss most of the run‑in last season.“Jurriën is progressing really well,” Arteta said after Arsenal’s friendly defeat by Borussia Dortmund last weekend. “He’s on the pitch, he’s doing quite a lot right now, but it’s still weeks away. I cannot tell you how much.”Arsenal would still like to sign a new attacker before the end of the window and could allow Gabriel Martinelli and Gabriel Jesus to depart in order to free up more funds. Galatasaray have offered £38m for Martinelli, although the Brazil forward is not thought to be keen on a move to Turkey. Napoli have shown an interest in Jesus.Ethan Nwaneri could also be sold, with Milan, Fulham, RB Leipzig and Borussia Dortmund among those who have been linked with the 19-year-old.The future of Myles Lewis-Skelly is unclear after he was offered to Chelsea and Manchester United this week. Arteta refused to address the rumours after he scored in the friendly against Como – managed by Cesc Fábregas – on Wednesday. “I’m not going to talk about speculation,” he said. “If there is speculation about our players, it’s a good sign. That means our players attract attention and are doing a good job.”

Ed AaronsFri, 14 Aug 2026
Source: The Guardian
Read story