AccaMate logo

Football News

Latest Sports Stories

Filtered by tag:Ligue 1Clear filter
PSG’s Ligue 1 home opener moved to Rennes after pitch damaged by heat

Football News

PSG’s Ligue 1 home opener moved to Rennes after pitch damaged by heat

Sunday’s match against Rennes moved at short noticeParc des Princes surface poses risk to ‘safety of players’Paris Saint-Germain’s Ligue 1 opener against Rennes has been relocated at short notice, because of damage to their pitch following extreme heat this summer.Sunday’s match will now take place at Rennes’ Roazhon Park ground, the LFP (Ligue de Football Professionel) competitions committee announced late on Wednesday.PSG have said the pitch at Parc des Princes has deteriorated so much “that the current conditions did not allow the match to be held under satisfactory circumstances, particularly with regard to the safety and physical wellbeing of the players.”The change of venue has been decided “in agreement” with Rennes, PSG said, and thanked its opponent for “making the match possible.” According to reports in French media, PSG expect the return fixture in March to be moved to Paris, but a formal agreement is not yet in place.According to L’Equipe, PSG looked into the possibility of playing at Paris FC’s Stade Jean-Bouin – which is next door to Parc des Princes – and Stade Sébastien-Charléty in the south of the French capital, in addition to the Stade de France. After failing to secure any of the three venues, the club contacted LFP for assistance.“Paris Saint-Germain fully understands the inconvenience caused by this change for its supporters and all those who had planned to attend this match at the Parc des Princes,” the club added, saying “the club regrets this exceptional situation.”PSG also claim they have “identified a solution for replacing the pitch at the Parc des Princes for the upcoming matches,” starting with its next home game in Ligue 1 against Monaco on 4 September.

Associated Press and Guardian sportThu, 20 Aug 2026
Source: The Guardian
Read story
Paris Saint-Germain sign Ferran Torres from Barcelona in €50m deal

Football News

Paris Saint-Germain sign Ferran Torres from Barcelona in €50m deal

Spain World Cup winner signs five-year deal‘I’m delighted to be beginning a new adventure’Paris Saint-Germain have signed Spain’s World Cup-winning ⁠forward Ferran Torres from Barcelona on a contract until 2031. Financial ​details were not disclosed, but reports said PSG paid €50m (£42.7m) ⁠for the 26-year-old.“I’m delighted to be beginning a new adventure at such an ambitious ⁠club as Paris Saint-Germain,” Torres said in ​a statement. “I’d like ‌to thank President ‌Nasser al-Khelaifi, Luis Campos [PSG’s football adviser] and coach ‌Luis Enrique for giving me the opportunity to join the team, which I hope to help win as many trophies as possible.”Spain’s World Cup hero arrives in the French capital after ‌scoring an extra-time winning goal in the World Cup final against Argentina. The forward scored ​21 goals and provided three assists in 49 appearances across all competitions for Barça in their last campaign as the club retained their La Liga ⁠title.Torres joined Barcelona in 2022 after a brief ​spell at ​Manchester ​City. He has scored 25 goals in ​65 appearances ‌for Spain ​and will ​be reunited with Luis Enrique, having previously played under the Spaniard during his time in charge of the national team.

ReutersSat, 15 Aug 2026
Source: The Guardian
Read story